Wednesday, August 6, 2008

hill intervals, spreadsheets, and a lingering injury

First my ride tonight. Very productive! I did 4x 30 warmup surges to get my legs speedy and somewhat loose. Then I moved onto the main course: 5X5 min zone 4-5 all out efforts. Yeah....ouch! I have this really good route by where I used to live in Armonk that has perfectly paved roads, no traffice, and enough flats/uphills/downhills ratio to make it an awesome course.

The first three sprints were hard and I was glad to get them over with. The 4th I just blew. I was in that perfect gear at a smooth cadence and just went. I wish I had a computer to tell me how fast I was going. The fifth my legs were getting pretty spent. I was able to do the effort, but my legs just didn't have the "oomph" to put the power to the pedals. I did a long spin home. My legs actually feel fine now.

I use a Polar HRM, which is a great HRM, but I wish the download options were a bit better. It will report in a logical manner what I did, for how long, and some simple heart rate reports. Unfortunately its overall addition and averaging tools are crap.

Sooooo, I am doing it the old fashioned way on a spreadsheet. Basically I want to see totals and averages and be able to calculate subtotals easier. I think at the end of the season I am going to invest in a better HRM system.

Finally, my upper left shoulder/lower left neck. I don't know what I did, but after my run Tuesday morning I was having trouble bending my neck and back and thought that it would go away. Well as I am writing this, it feels a little better but I can't rotate my neck fully to the left and in certain positions I have a hard time breathing. WTF!

It didn't mess with my workout other than I couldn't look over my left shoulder. Hopefully it will go away before I start swimming.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment!