Wednesday, August 12, 2009

a really hard, but rewarding swim

Tonight's swim was one of those hard one's where you know its gonna be hard going in, but yet you know its gonna pay dividends. I did 2500 yards and the goal was to do short but intense on less and less rest, then rebound and see if you can hold it again at some longer distances.

So, tonight looked like this:
2 x 250 WU
3 x 100 on 2:00
3 x 100 on 1:55
3 x 100 on 1:50 (ouch!!!)
1 x 400 recover
3 x 200 on 4:00
100 CD

For the 9 100's, I was ranging between 1:32 and 1:35.
For the 200's, I went 3:21, 3:20, 3:16!

These times are a bit slower than what I was doing earlier this season, but I feel like I can get it back and maintain it over the next week.

So basically the past 3-4 weeks I havent really been pushing myself in the pool, other than putting in huge volume. I was really pushing myself to keep those 100 times down. I mean, harder than I really should have been. So in other words, I have learned tonight that once you start gaining speed in the pool, DONT slow down completely. Volume is cool, but it hurts speed. I should keep the speed sets up!

Good swim and a BIG confidence booster.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to going back to speed vs. volume, you're right, it helps so much more.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment!