Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Fixed! I heart my PT!

Well, not to jump to conclusions, but after "The Elbow" beat the shit out of my calve muscles then had me run on the treadmill to look at my running form and had to then ask me, "So, how does your foot feel?" and I responded with, "Oh, wait, my foot? Oh! My foot!.....oh, it doesn't hurt!!!"

I would say that that is a good sign?

The prognosis? My left calve muscles were VERY tight, even though they felt 100% fine. So tight, that they were pulling on where the muscles/tendons/ligaments are attached, which starts from the very bottom of your foot and works its way around the ankle. In fact, I described how the pain started at the very bottom of my foot and followed its way directly along the path of the muscle/tendon/ligament that eventually becomes one of the calve muscles.

Loosen the calve muscle == loosen the pulling on the attachment point == Pain dissolves!!!

So after a 45 min deep tissue massage of the entire foot and calve muscles, I started walking and it felt funny because there was no pain. I had gotten so used to walking with the pain, that walking without pain felt strange.

In fact, I had a Eureka moment when she asked how the stretching of my calves muscles have been going. Well! My right calve muscle has been fine, but my left one is taking a lot more to stretch and hurts a lot more to stretch. Remember how I was complaining that my calve muscles hurt the worst after Timberman? DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!! My right calve felt worse, but it loosened up. My left calve didn't loosen up as much, and the pain in the foot is the result.

So your pinky toe IS connected to your ear bone? ;)

Now I doubt this one session is going to cure it. But at least a diagnosis is some relief!

No way it can be a stress fracture, right? I mean if it was a stress fracture than I would be feeling it regardless, after all it would be bone that was busted. Right?

So it is great walking around like normal again. Going forward, continue stretching and foam rolling my calve muscles to keep them loose and icing the bottom of my feet is the diet.

Now I gotta get my head back in the game!

16 comments:

  1. Use the roller on your calves... I have been pretty tight lately too, seems like the end of racing season norm from what I can tell.

    Glad its something simple like that :) Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my weakness too! Tight calves suck. I wear recovery socks after almost every long or tough run/ride whatever when I go to bed and it helps a lot. I'm also a lazy stretchy so of course I use the most passive cure known to mankind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to hear your calves loosened up. That is one pain that I hate to have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In dealing with my calf/lower leg issues about the only time I ever felt relief before I finally just gave up and took a leave of absence from running was when I hit up the PT for a massage. Glad it worked for you and just keep up the stretching and foam rolling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My tight calves lead to my achilles problems, I am just a mess, good to hear your is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you were able to figure out the problem and get some relief from the pain! Although some people don't find value in stretching, I am a firm believer in it and stretch after every run and ride. So far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WAHOOO!!! Yeah!! I am psyched! Great news!

    Foam roller baby. Tennis ball too. More pin point, hurts like heck. Worth it.

    Yeah for PT!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great news, sounds like a winner....go with it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a huge relief!! Get on that stretching and keep it loose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tight calves led to the tearing of my plantar fascia, it's definitely something to stay on top of! Glad you're on the road to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds good! Carry on treating it and you’ll be back to 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! Glad the elbow fixed you again. So what is now? Elbow: 3 Jon: 0? I suppose we should give you at least 1 for rocking Timberman, so 3-1? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome news:) I havn't heard about the elbow in sometime...glad she is back in your life! I need to get in and see my version of the elbow too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad to hear that you are doing better. It is amazing how much stretching can help! I have not been faithful with my stretching and it was obvious. I am stretching again and I can move once more. Gotta love the "elbow"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. 45 of deep tissue anything . . . .sounds fab.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment!