The NYC Marathon is just NOT happening this year.
Am I disappointed? YEP!
But let's look at the facts here:
- Since Timberman (Aug 22nd), I have ran a total of 12 miles. Due to....
- My foot has been hurting for a week.....it still hurts. NOT as bad, but I can still feel it.
- My foot/calve is still not 100%
- Yesterday's PT session was wonderful and it helped me figure out the cause. Unfortunately the cure is not a 1 shot wonder. This will take time to heal.
- Training for a marathon is NOT going to heal it....
- How can I train for a marathon if I currently can't run?
- I am going on a 9 day vacation to Disney World and Florida starting in 2 days
- Running on a Vacation, which the point of the vacation is to relax and have fun, is STUPID
- I would need to run a 17 miler this weekend, while on vacation. NOT HAPPENING!
- When I return from Vacation, I will have a grand total of 8 weeks LEFT of running before the marathon
- 8 weeks is NOT enough time to train for a marathon!!! Regardless of how much I have done this season!
- Remember I have barely ran in the last 2 weeks? And I will be taking next week off?
- Is barely or not running at all for 3 weeks then jumping right into the middle of a marathon program the smartest thing? I THINK NOT!
- ....I just see a worse injury coming on or aggravating this current injury further.
- I did 4 Half Ironman Races this year. Isn't that enough in a year's time?!?!?
- If I am going to do a Marathon, I want to do it SMART and do it RIGHT.
- What I have listed above, IS NOT training for a marathon SMART or doing it RIGHT.
- I want to feel like I did my job 110% in preparation for this marathon. After all, its a freaking MARATHON!!! There is NO loafing or short changing this thing!
- Ironman Lake Placid is my #1 Goal next year, and it TRUMPS the NYC Marathon.
- Staying healthy for Lake Placid is #1. Training for and running this marathon in my current state and schedule is NOT healthy.
- Finally, if I am going to feel guilt and feel rushed for this training cycle for this marathon, then SCREW it!
Sorry NYC, but maybe 2011 will be a better year! (I have the option to defer this year's entry to next year)
And to be honest, my body has enjoyed being a lazy person the last two weeks. It's really making want to get back out onto the road bike and just have fun for the sake of riding my bike. I WANT to continue running, but my body has been through enough this year. I can't mentally do it anymore. Its been a looooooooong season and my body through this latest injury is saying, "JON! Congrats on killing Timberman. You did a great job! Now its MY turn to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I am going to be a pain in the ass next year if you don't STOP NOW!"
Its funny how it comes down to being a numbers game in the end. We all know our bodies and when your body is not capable of putting up the numbers it needs to do a distance the way you want to do it, then its not fun playing the game and playing catch up the entire time is just a recipe for disaster!
So I am deciding to stop now and float it this fall. On January 1st, I am starting Ironman Training. On that day, I want to be HUNGRY to do Ironman Training. I think a few more months of rest will make me hungrier.
Thanks for reading!