Sunday, November 15, 2009

The influence and results of using a heart rate monitor while running

Ran 5 miles on a totally flat trail this morning. I ran a 9:16 pace and what a difference from Friday's run! I split my time evenly between zones 2 and 3. Check out the run and splits, etc over @ Garmin Connect. HERE!

My heart rate never crept above 162. This is signifigant becauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse, I looked at Friday's run and I was completely in zone 3 from start to finish. No wonder I felt like crap! I basically started out too hard and maintained, whereas today, I started in zone 2 and finished in zone 3. I felt great by the finish and could have easily gone longer (those days are coming SOON).

This was a great test and is really going to influence the way I train next season, especially during my 12 week base period. When I hit those 14 hour peak weeks, there is NO WAY that I will be able to go hard every workout (or any workout). The game will be played at an easy intensity, but with lots of volume.

I am in a good place right now. I am craving putting in the work and putting up the #'s, except for in the pool :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment!