Wednesday, January 23, 2008

started swimming tonight

I have been lazy far too long. Today i went to the Y, signed up, then tonight started in the pool.

Done.

And the pool is really nice too. I thought the pool was going to freezing, but the temperature was perfect and I had my own lane (there were only 2 others in the pool).

So of course I started out the first two laps the way that I swim, which is a pretty good clip, except I am outa shape, so that lasted for about four laps until I had to stop and rest. I started to pace myself and was able to do 22 laps, which @ 25 yards each, is 550 yards, which is 1650 feet, which is about 1/4 of a mile. Not bad for the my first time out. I guess it helps when you were taught how to swim by a former olympic diving coach :)

I am going to try to swim 3 times a week and get my 1/4 mile down without stopping. Most sprint triathlons are 1/4-1/2 mile swim. I can easily see myself swimming 1 mile, 3 times a week within a few months. I guess because I was taught how to swim (and taught properly) that I am not afraid of swimming and that I have a confidence in the sport, something that I know I do NOT have in running. @ least I have 2/3 of the sports down. However, I shouldn't "count my chickens before they hatch" cuz this is just day one. The biggest test will be can I swim 3 times a week consistenly ON TOP of running and swimming.

We shall see!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment!