Thursday, July 8, 2010

Total and Complete Randomness

  • maybe its because I am tapering right now that my brain is off in La-La-Land this week
  • do you ever notice that people either have a negative or positive personality?
  • ever notice that those negative types want to drag you down to their level?
  • ever notice that most if not all endurance athletes are positive types? (yay us!)
  • why is it that the day before a big race all you want to do is bail?
  • why is it after you finish the race you always say, "what was the big deal?"
  • was the hardest part of your first triathlon the open water swim?
  • why is there always one person at the start of a triathlon who says they didn't train and makes it totally vocal to everyone?!?!?
  • when I was 5, I asked my parents how God got the skin on everyone. I think my parents were/still are baffled
  • also when I was 5 and in my first swim lessons, I asked the swim instructor what would happen if lightning struck the sun....he told me to keep kicking
  • when I was 7, I stared at the digital clock a lot. I figured that if I saw 5:43, then closed my eyes, opened them and it said 5:45, that 5:44 must have happened; now I am unsure
  • do you hate it or love it when someone on the bike announces that there is only a 13.1 mile run next
  • how do you describe that feeling starting to run coming off of the bike?
  • Gu is amazing!!! Nuff said
  • I want my next birthday cake frosted in chocolate Gu
  • I have spent WAY more on bicycle maintenance than on car maintenance this year
  • i have probably spent more on Chocolate Gu than car maintenance this year...
  • (my car runs fine, btw)
  • I like to replace the first letter of words with the letter "F"
  • Fumid
  • Fearly
  • Fwindy
  • Filly
  • you know you have met a triathlete, because he/she has told you within the first 5 seconds, or you are talking about p00 within the first 5 seconds
  • runner's trots is an appropriate and welcomed conversation amongst endurance athletes
  • "it" happens
  • I have swam in the Hudson River; it tastes like salty diesel fuel


  • I will be signing up for my first full Ironman in 3 days.
  • GULP!!!!

17 comments:

  1. Wow, that is random and that's exciting about the impending IM sign-up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, which IM are you signing up for? also, I am totally that girl that goes "hey we're almost done, only 13 miles of running to go!!!" once I'm off the bike in a HIM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the random thoughts! Yes, the ows killed me in my first event! Way to go on signing up for your IM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck at RI and then signing up for LP!

    By the way, I am the jerk who says at the start of the half marathon in the half ironman that I thought it was a 1.3 mile run not a 13.1 – I never get laughs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I skipped some of the rhetorical questions, but here are my answers

    # do you ever notice that people either have a negative or positive personality?
    Yes

    # ever notice that those negative types want to drag you down to their level?
    Yes, that is why I try to avoid them

    # ever notice that most if not all endurance athletes are positive types? (yay us!)
    Yay Us is right

    # was the hardest part of your first triathlon the open water swim?
    Runner's World just had a triathlon primer article last month. Best line in the whole article: "Pool swimming is as different from open water swimming as running on a treatmill is from running from a hungry bear."

    # when I was 7, I stared at the digital clock a lot. I figured that if I saw 5:43, then closed my eyes, opened them and it said 5:45, that 5:44 must have happened; now I am unsure
    Is that like Schrodinger's cat? Are going to start studying quantum mechanics now?

    # do you hate it or love it when someone on the bike announces that there is only a 13.1 mile run next
    Hate it. But then again, they are one of the positive people, so I don't hate them, just the thought of running 13.1 miles.

    # I have spent WAY more on bicycle maintenance than on car maintenance this year
    Ditto

    # runner's trots is an appropriate and welcomed conversation amongst endurance athletes
    Absolutely. Sharting is the worst.

    # I will be signing up for my first full Ironman in 3 days.
    Fawesome (see what I did there - haha)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally random.
    and yes its ONLY 13.1 run. come on jon! hhaha. jooookkeeee!!!
    and yes, gu is good. i learned that i cant eat it during a run, but i can at the start of the run.

    and HOW did God get the skin on our bodies. weird!
    haha

    thnx for lightening up my afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi little bro,
    As you know, I am the queen of randomness:) I love it when other people are random....makes me feel normal! As a little boy you were just full of questions! Just keep kicking:)

    Holy crap, you are signing up for a full Ironman!?! You can totally do it, just a walk in the park!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very random indeed, but entertaining! Yay for Lake Placid--you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pretty funny Jon! You might need to find yourself a GU support group: "Hello, my name is Jon and it has be 27 minutes since my last chocolate GU."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jon, you totally cracked me up with this radndomness today. Fumid has become a regularly used work in my vocabulary thanks to you. Congrats on signing up for the IM. You are going to do so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep kickin! haha

    saw this today and for some reason thought you'd get a kick out of it...

    http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/07/travis_l_wright_believes_in_hi.html?f=most-commented-24h-5

    you mean you are signing up for IMLP in 3 weeks not 3 days right? you do not have a secret way of signing up ahead of time for LP do you?

    -D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jon!

    This is awesome. The negative/positive personality thing is so true! Those negative blokes are always trying to drag us down.

    The hardest part of the first OWS? Getting my ass in the water.

    As for IMLP - one day I am all in, the next I am waffling. I am psyched to volunteer for sure, I just wish I could do the HIM first then sign up. And this leg thing has me down..I think that is my problem.

    Feeling coming off the bike? Ummm who poured the cement in my legs?

    ReplyDelete
  13. TOTALLY random is right! RE: neg/pos people..misery loves company. I guess that is why the negatives peeps try to drag you down with them.

    even though I struggled with my OWS the first season, in my first race it was the run that did me in; I went WAY too hard on the bike. Inexperience.

    legs off the bike: like dragging to dead weights around.

    IMLP!! No full IM for me until my kid is older. I just don't have it in me to put in that kind of time with a 4 y/o hanging around.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I have swam in the Hudson River; it tastes like salty diesel fuel"

    Sorry, thats my fault, I bath in the Hudson.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol, this is probably one of my favorite posts of yours!
    Enjoy the rest of La La Land...do you do tours?
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. dude, we must meet up! Maybe in line to sign up for LP? Let me know your weekend plan!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am hoping to be on that same line after this RI race for IMLP...fingers crossed...They said they have limited number of entries...what does limited mean??? 10..20...40...

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment!