Friday, July 30, 2010

Remember what used to be exciting, has become "Meh"?

Remember the first time you ran your first 5K without having to stop and how much of a victory that used to be? Now you can't remember the last time you ran a 5K because you now only run a minimum of 5 miles.

Remember your first sprint triathlon that had the epic 3 month build up that you would talk about constantly and your friends would roll their eyes if you brought up that subject again? Now a sprint has become a short training day and doesn't satisfy your appetite.

Remember your first Olympic distance and you dreaded that .9 mile swim, didn't mind the bike, but was scared shitless of the 10K run that felt like the distance of a marathon and you went so conservatively so as to not blow up? Now you can race an Olympic harder than a sprint!

Remember your first Half Ironman and you thought that you were not going to make the swim cutoff of 1:15? Remember you drove your family and friends to point of them exiling you to a deserted island so they could shut you up from the constant FREAKOUTS!!! You thought the HIM was the do all/end all distance because the Ironman was totally reserved for those superfreak athletes. Now the HIM is just a long day out there, but totally doable and now you can race it with some effort!

This is how I feel a year later reattempting my very first HIM, Timberman. Has a year already flown by? I remember this time last year having so many doubts and freakouts. Why? Oh, right, that fear of the unknown.

Now that I have 3 more (4 total) Half Ironman races under my belt, my fear of going back to Timberman is zilch. I know the course, I know what I am capable of, and I know what I did wrong last year and @ Rhode Island this year. Don't Go Too hard on the bike, and eat enough food. I solved the food issues, its just the pacing on the bike that is the problem. Fortunately with new tested zones the other weekend, that is taken care of as well.

The other problem is that I can't seem to put all three disciplines of a triathlon together at this distance. I usually nail 2 out of 3 in varying orders, but that third just sinks my day. Hoping to go 3 for 3 in a few weeks!

Oh, and if you think I was a mess last year leading up to Timberman, just wait till the lead up and taper for Lake Placid next year! I might need to be commited! ;)

Have a good weekend everybody and good luck to those racing! I am heading up to NH to tackle the Timberman bike and run courses. Gonna try out some Nuun on the bike to see if I notice a difference on the run. This bike ride will be done @ HIM intensity and will be the final barometer for how my bike split will be on race day. 3 weeks to go! Yeesh! So expect a detailed report on Monday.

10 comments:

  1. I'm a HUGE advocate of Nuun. Specifically Kona Kola. :) Hope it works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this is why I've learned never to say never to any distance/race! You never know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi little bro,
    I need to go back a few posts and catch up:) I remember when I thought a 5K was so long! I remember when I thought I was going to die from running a 10 mile:) I remember running my first half thinking, oh crap, I hate this! I will let you know how the marathon goes!

    Good luck with your training this weekend! Let us know how the Nuun works out. I still have to try Nuun but I have heard wonderful things about it. Take care and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried NUUN the other day on a mid-day (HOT) run and freaking loved it. It made a big difference in my energy level which usually tanks with the heat.

    Have fun. FULL report please. Flatten out that hill at mile 10 for me. Both sides. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I hope the training is fruitful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Nuun worked great for me over the last month and in my HIM last weekend. I used it on the bike but also carried it with me on the run in high heat and I didn't wilt.
    Cant wait to see your year later comparison!
    -Derek

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny how some time and more training put a 5 hour workout into perspective. However, as far those 5k's go, I do not know what you are talking about, I am still terrified of that distance. I never race it well. My strategy is to now go out and run a 10k before hand.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a good training weekend! I've used NUUN for awhile now and really like it. I just hope it gets me through my HIM next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is all true! Even training for my second HIM, some of the luster has worn off, but it is interesting in other ways too.

    I will actually be running my first 5K since June 2009 in a couple of weeks...that should be interesting.

    You are going to be impossible to live with next year, poor Kelly! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this post!! It is all SO true!!

    Although at this point in my life I think I would rather run a half marathon than a 5K. Running a 5K HURTS!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment!