Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Help Me Light Some Inner Fires; The Countdown Begins!!!

For those of you who don't know, I have my first major race of the season coming up in less than two weeks on April 10th down in Galveston, Texas. I am doing the Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas...aka the longest name of a race in the history of triathlon.

For keeping things simple around here, we shall refer to this race simply as the Galveston 70.3. Better? Oh! Blogging superstar Jeff @ DangleTheCarrot is doing this race as well as he preps himself for his first full Ironman, Ironman Texas, in late May.

People often find the taper to be one of the hardest things to do leading up to a race. I often find that the week BEFORE the taper is often the hardest, not just because it is very physically demanding, but also mentally it's tough because you have to put in one more week of demanding work, THEN back it off for a week and go crazy simultaneously.

I find finding the motivation to put the hard work in that last week is really what makes it hard. Let's take last week for example. I had just come off of a solid 16 hour week that transitioned into a week where NOTHING went right. The weather was absolute crap; I was having "issues" out on the run. My work schedule was messing up my swim schedule. Blah blah blah blah, whine whine whine whine, play the violin and get me a tissue cuz I am crying like a little baby right now. Oh! The Whambulance just drove by....

So there you have it. Finding the motivation to get outside or into the pool to get the workout done is basically 50% of the workout. I know I have done the work and put the time in, I just don't wanna blow it!

And this is where I refer to what I call THE INNER FIRE! This is that burning inside desire to GET OUT THERE and get the workout done according to plan and to your best ability. These are the sessions that count and that pay dividends come race day.

I have about 12 more days of lighting these inner fires before race day. It's simple. You wake up, you figure out what you need to get done on that particular day, and you mentally do the workout in your head. You think about what you are going to eat before, during and after. You think about how you are going to stretch after. You even think about where you are going to hit the gas and where you are going to recovery during the workout. Every workout has a goal.

So only 12 days? Can I get some help?

17 comments:

  1. 12 days? That coming up really soon. I sounds like you've done the work, so now it's time to just let loose on the course. Way to go, Tom! Enjoy these last few days. You're gonna rock it out there in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taper? What the heck is that? (-:

    Hey I think we should put down a bottle of Scotch the night before the race.... That would help right?

    Hey do u want to swim theFriday before the race?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear how your race goes! I love this stuff!!!! Just one day at a time - You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inner fire is great...you can use it to melt marshmellows to use for fuel. train hard and it on race day just let it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhhh geeeeezzzzzz Jeff!!

    As for motivation, if you find some, let me know, bad week for me. I do have a motivation page on my blog, I guess I should look at it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ignite the Light! Ignite the light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well crap, at least the Whambulance didn't STOP at your place ;) haha.

    Honestly when it comes to the point where you are at. I put blind faith in the plan. I tell myself that I did not work my butt off for months just to throw it away at this point in the game.

    Keep on getting these workouts done man. The payoff is SO worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesnt matter what u do in the next 12 days, you wont get any faster in time for race day. conserve them flames and explode on race day

    You've put out some mind boggling numbers, I have no doubt that you'll crush that race! Congrats on executing a great training plan. stay healthy and injury free for the next week eh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you forgot about the "Michael Scott's Dunder Mifflin Scranton Meredith Palmer Memorial Celebrity Rabies Awareness Pro-Am Fun Run Race For The Cure"

    Go check out Jeff's FB page. He seems to be on a Motivational Youtube kick.

    PS: Would some cheese with that whine be helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, as you know that finish line isn't going to chase you so you better get out there so that you can chase down that finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  11. seems you already figured it out:)

    u totally nailed it the blahblahblah whine whine - sometimes ur gonna b on it other weeks like you said nothing seemingly "goes your way"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I'm driving the whambulance these days! I can't believe you're racing so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How do you light some inner fires?? Shoot for the stars, amigo! Qualify for the 70.3 World Championships!! Make your goal something that you can taste in the back of your throat when you start to feel those thoughts of self doubt... Make a goal that you think is just beyond the reach of your outstretched fingers so that when you do grab it, it feels that much better.

    That's what I'd do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy crap, if you have 12 days that means I have 11!!! Looking forward to meeting you. I am sure you will rock it. Oh, and as far as the name of the race. Everything is bigger in TX :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm confused. You need motivation to train these final twelve days and nail those workouts? I wouldn't sweat it it if you dont. You've put in the hours and the effort, don't start screwing with your own head at this stage of the game; don't overthink it! Just get it done and when you toe the line, you got this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha... laughing at Ryan! :)

    YOU GOT THIS! That's all the motivation you need! :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment!