Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Mentally Preparing Myself for the Next PR

Back in early January I made a bet with myself this season after PR-ing my 10K time basically untrained:

W) I have made a bet with myself to PR all distances this season (* gulp! *)

I have only raced twice this season, and have so far held up my end of the bargain of this bet. I have no idea the stakes, and if I am holding up my end of the bargain, who is holding up the other end of the bargain? The other side of myself?

Anyways...

Next up is the National Half Marathon Rock N' Roll USA Nation's Capital Half Marathon this Saturday. This will be the first stand alone half marathon race that I will be running in exactly two years. My current 13.1 PR was made at the NYC Half Marathon with a time of 1:45:19.

Let's cut to the chase here and drop this bomb: I ran the first 13.1 miles of Saturday's training run in 1:35:24, and continued on for another 3 miles for over 16 total in two hours flat.

I am gonna PR this sucker.

By how much? We shall see.

I see no pressure with this race and it is wonderful! Basically the time that I achieve will all be gravy! Now, I am NOT gonna sandbag it and finish in 1:45:18 for a 1 second PR. I am gonna run hard and run fast until my legs give out at the end. I wanna drop my PR to such a low time that its gonna take awhile to shatter this thing. THAT is my goal. I want to finish this race knowing that I ran it well and put in that amount of effort that makes this race satisfying. I didn't do this at the 10K in January, and while it was a PR, I know that I left too much on the course. At the 4 miler in February, I left it all out there.

Basically if I am not hating life by the end of this race, I didn't go hard enough.

You have been warned, Rock N' Roll USA Nation's Capital Half Marathon, aka, your race name is WAY too fucking long that I am gonna shorten it for you!!!

RAWR!!!!!!!

14 comments:

  1. Agreed. Can we call the R'n'RUSANCHM "RAWR!!!!!!" from now on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the end of this year, I think "RAWR" is going to have to suffer the same fate as "epic" has this year.

    Prediction: 1:32:09.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be amazing. Excited to see you, if not out there then at least during the weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having a PR in the bag is kinda exciting eh? Have a blast this weekend!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet, can;t wait to hear how you did! I am 4 for 4 this year on PR's but not as confident as you on my half this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun man. Remember when it hurts, push harder!!! (please, no one type TWSS to this comment... that is just wrong... well, maybe not wrong, but... you get my point haha).

    There is a point around mile 11 or 12 where you will want to back off because of the lactic acid build up in your quads, trust me, it doesn't mean anything, you have more in your legs, do NOT listen to your body... it's wrong.

    Go get em tiger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1:29 flat. 6:47 pace. Write that down.

    Around mile 8 if you aren't questioning why the hell you are doing this to yourself then you need to run faster (-:

    Oh, since this is an RnR race make sure to seed yourself in the front of the first corral. Seriously, these RnR races attract tons of new runners who all think a 2:30 HM is fast and they lineup with the Kenyans. Get ahead of this or you'll be wasting tons of energy and time zig-zagging all over the course the first couple of miles. Clear roads are your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. rawr is dinosaur for I love you. what are you trying to say here?

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are not PRing when you run past me, I will throw things at you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are going to kill it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you are totally going to PR and nail it! Your training run on Saturday was huge! I admire your tough goal to PR everything. Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, the name is WAY to long isn't it?! I still refuse to call it anything but Nation's.... Good luck! I'm sure you're going to kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to read about your PR!!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment!