Friday, May 21, 2010

THE master list. What you need on race day

Since I have my 2nd tri of the season tomorrow, I thought I would throw down onto paper my pre race triathlon checklist and share it with you all. This is a list for an Olympic distance (my HIM list is ridiculous!). It looks like I will need a large shipping container to haul all of this stuff, but really, its not that much....I repeat some things cuz they are needed more than once.

transition:

USAT Card (or bring $10 cash) (Brett's addition)
towel
TP (the portapotties ALWAYS run out)
sunscreen (spray and rub on)
garbage bag for carrying wet wetsuit home (Krista's addition)
change of clothes post race (Krista's addition)
electrical tape (for applying race number to bike)

swim:

tri suit
body glide
wetsuit
goggles
backup goggles
neoprene camp (its gonna be a COLD swim!)
flipflops
2Gu's
swimcap

bike:
race belt
race number/bib
bike
helmet
cycling hat (if it rains)
sunglasses/eye protection (Tri Diesel's addition)
bike shoes
computer
computer code: XXXXXX
sunscreen (spray and rub on)
gatorade
water
2 GU's

run:
race belt
socks
shoes
sunglasses/eye protection (Tri Diesel's addition)
hat/visor (a MUST!!!!)
watch
sunscreen
Gu

Did I forget anything? Anything you would add?

Here is a free tip: NEVER wear your flipflops to the race. Always wear your running shoes to the race. Why? Cuz that way the running shoes will actually make it to the race.

9 comments:

  1. Great list! Happy to see sunscreen on there a 4x! I would add a few things:

    - Timing chip (if you picked up in advance)
    - Garbage bag to wrap shoes if it is raining and/or transport wet wetsuit after the race
    - Post race clothes (something to change into for the ride home)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Krista

    Dont forget sunglass's or something to protect your eyes on the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm getting ready to pack for sunday's race and this will help out!
    ...i'll be sure to wear my racing shoes to the race!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi little bro,
    This is a great list..if I ever become nuts enough to do a tri I will be set:) Funny about the flip flops! Did you ever forget your shoes?

    Happy weekend Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just going through my list for Sunday's race, now I can double check against yours to make sure I'm not forgetting something....

    Got it. I'll also be bringing my USAT card, towels, & camera. Your list looks good. Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck in your race!

    Can't beleive I didnt learn my lesson no sunscreen last year at Grandma's for 2nd year in a row...my fault! good list
    -Derek

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list! I should print this off and keep it with my tri gear so I don't forget anything when I pack.

    The only thing that I could see added is an optional item. If you know that you are going to have a long, sandy run to T1, it is helpful to have either a bucket with water or a separate water bottle for rinsing the sand off your feet before putting on your shoes. I did this on my HIM because I didn't want to risk sand in my shoes for the long bike ride; probably not needed for a sprint race though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! Good luck tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Late to the party. I take baby powder for inside my socks and sometimes apply a little body glide to the back heel of my shoes so they are easier to get into.

    I also always take my own marker for body marking as sometimes the lines can be long.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Leave me a comment!